Advancing Welcoming Through Community Foundations webinar
In April, we had the pleasure of hosting ‘Advancing Welcoming through Community Foundations,’ a webinar offered in partnership with Welcoming America. We explored the potential for greater coordination, collaboration, and investment from community foundations in advancing the vital work of welcoming newcomers into U.S. communities.
We also highlighted the findings from Welcoming America’s latest report and heard from leaders on how this work is showing up in their communities.
Thank you to our wonderful speakers:
- Lisa Schalla, Project Director, Connecting Communities in the Americas (moderator)
- Larry McGill, Founder & Principal, Ambit 360 Consulting
- Patricia Mejia, Vice President, Community Engagement & Impact, San Antonio Area Foundation
- Alex Baum, Director of Advocacy, Data & Learning, Community Foundation of Greater Dubuque
In case you missed it, you can watch the full recording below:
Executive Leadership Institute
ELI for CEOs explore their community leadership practices
The 2023 ELI for CEOs cohort met for the first time in St. Paul, Minnesota, and were generously hosted by the Saint Paul & Minnesota Foundation! Participants were introduced to the Framework for Community Leadership and discussed their individual community leadership goals.
The cohort also heard from Dr. Eric J. Jolly, President and CEO, Saint Paul & Minnesota Community Foundation who explored how the foundation supports community-led solutions.
The 2023 ELI for CEOs cohort includes:
- Simeon Banister, Rochester Area Community Foundation
- Betsy Constantine, Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo
- Christen Duhé, Gulf Coast Community Foundation
- Marcelle Epley, Long Beach Community Foundation
- Tatiana Hernandez, Community Foundation Boulder County
- Shannon Polk, Ann Arbor Area Community Foundation
- Aba Taylor, Brookline Community Foundation
Connecting Communities in the Americas
Connecting Communities in the Americas (CCA) continued exploring the topic of Nurturing Youth Leadership & Philanthropy through the April Peer Resource Sharing session. The group heard from young adults from various programs about their role in the philanthropy space. These young leaders responded to participant questions that focused on why and how to nurture youth leadership and philanthropy.
CCA mapping grantees publish new reports in multiple languages
CCA recently published a new round of Mapping Project reports from community foundations across the Americas in English, Spanish, Portuguese and Kreyol on the CFLeads website. These are excellent resources as community foundations consider how to use research to understand and reach out to your communities more strategically and meaningfully.
Southwest Initiative Foundation changes the narrative
We highlighted Southwest Initiative Foundation in our final story from our recently published report, Advancing Economic Mobility in our Communities, which documents the outcomes of community foundations that came together to develop economic mobility agendas for their communities.
Read about the accomplishments of the six outstanding community foundations below:
- The Chicago Community Trust: We Rise Together
- Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo: Collaborating Across Sectors
- Foundation for Louisiana: Linking Economic and Environmental Justice
- Greater Cincinnati Foundation: Centering the Focus on Black Women
- San Francisco Foundation: A Shared New Vision for Building Wealth
- Southwest Initiative Foundation: Connectedness that Can Change the Narrative